After watching “Food Choices” on Netflix I started feeling guilty about some of my wreckless eating habits. Not sure what made me think of Tortilla Soup but I did and this is what I came up with.
Before I get started there are a couple of things I wanted to achieve.
- No animal products.
- Spicy and complex flavours.
For the liquid you can use water but vegetable stock tastes way better and adds crazy depth.
Mexican Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
- 2 Celery Diced
- 2 clove Garlic Chopped
- 1/2 bunch Tyme
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 2 Red Onions Diced Opt: Leeks or White Onions
- 1/2 Diced Red Chilli
- 1 Red Pepper Diced
- 1 Green Pepper Diced
- 2 tbs Ground cumin
- 1/2 bunch Coriander Finely chop ends. Reserve top for Salsa.
- 2 Chopped Dried Chipotle Peppers
- Sea Salt/ Pepper to taste
Salsa for Garnish
- 1/2 bunch Coriander Roughly chopped.
- 1/2 Lime Juice
- 3 Chopped Mixed Peppers Ex: Red Chillies, Jalapeno
- Touch of Olive Oil
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 14oz Black Beans
- 1 ear Fresh Corn Opt: Canned as a last resort.
- 2 cups Vegetable Stock Opt: Water
- 1 Chopped/Sliced avocado, for garnish Do this at the very end while serving.
- Sliced Tortilla Chips, for garnish You can mix some of this into the soup as well if you like.
- In a heavy pan over medium heat add 3 tbsp. of vegetable oil. Sauté vegetable items.
- Add Black Beans
- Add Corn
- Add Stock
- Bring to a hard boil for 10 min.
- Remove Bay Leaf
- Using a hand blitzer blitz just a bit, don't make soup you want to leave lots of chunks in there.
- Put on a slow simmer and adjust flavour to taste.
- Garnish and serve.