I know you want it.
Cowboy Baked Beans. Try adding crispy shallots for garnish.
Spicy Cowboy Pork Hock Baked Beans
Spicy Pork Hock Baked Beans
Servings: 6 people
- 3 cups Chopped Sweet Onion
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp Diced Garlic
- 1 Chopped Jalapeño
- 1 tsp Ground All-spice
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- 2 tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 cup Canned Chipotles Chopped Trust me it's more then enough.
- 3 lbs Smoked Ham Hock
- 2 cups Beef Broth
- 15 oz Red Kidney Beans
- 15 oz Pinto Beans Rinsed
- 15 oz Black Beans Rinsed
- 1.5 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Canadian Maple Syrup Must Have
- 1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Kosher Salt Pork Hock adds more
- 2 tbsp Cracked Peppercorn
- 2 cup Strong Espresso Coffee
- 1/3 cup Molasses Don't over do it!
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- Heat Oven to 325F
- In a heavy pot add Foundation ingredients and caramelize under medium heat. 5 min or so.
- Add 2nd phase ingredients seasoning first and stir in and cook for 30 seconds before adding all the other items.
- Put in oven for 1 hour covered.
- Add in 3rd phase ingredients and put back into oven for another hour. Check if you still have lots of liquid if not just add water. If you find you have too much liquid it's okay, you can always reduce later.
- Take out the pork and remove the bone and fatty skin. Chop up the pork.
- After the oven cooking you can now put on the stove and bring to a mild bubble and reduce the liquid till you get the consistency you want. Refrain from doing any seasoning adjustments till you get to this point. The reason is because the flavors will intensify as you reducing. NOTE: LEAVE enough liquid in the pot, it will become too thick and rich....especially next day beans.
- When you get the texture you want, this is when you adjust for Salt, Pepper and more sweetness or whatever your little heart desires.
- Sometimes I'll put the pot on the stove on 8/10 heat and reduce it a little more if there is too much liquid. This is how you control it.
- Add in pork and stir. Ready to serve.
Master Brad...ya, that flying dog held me captive forever, in the end the eggs never hatched. Grrrr
I had totally forgotten about this, my Portuguese dogs are still in therapy.
Try is with a couple of sprigs of tarragon while you're making the sauce, not too much just enough to…
Good catch...I forgot to add the good stuff. Butter. :)