As much as I love deep fried chicken…cooking with hot oil on a boat makes me nervous. So this is the second best thing.
Shake’n Bake comes down to the your preference of seasoning and how you coat onto the protein.
Oven temperature and cooking time is merely a guideline. I’m cooking at 375F in a convection oven and it took 22 min. Expect a regular oven to take 10 min more.
1. Cook to reach an internal temperature of 160F-165F when working with fresh chicken.
2. Place meat on an elevated wire rack to help prevent the bottom from getting soggy.
Note: Don’t cook with cold chicken, bring to room temperature about 30 minutes up to an hour on the counter before cooking. Otherwise the oven heat dries out the meat on the outside before the inside is done.
Rules of the road when coating.
1. Panko doesn’t stick to chicken.
2. Egg doesn’t stick to chicken
3. Flour sticks to chicken.
4. Egg sticks to flour and Panko, thus egg is the binder.
5. Don’t use oil anywhere in this recipe. Oil will break down your fragile coating and serves no purpose.
Based on the rules above.
1. Coat chicken in flour first.
2. Coat gently with egg.
3. Coat with your seasoning mix.