So you want to impress somebody! Make this dish. And the best part is you might potentially burn the house down, in my case set my sailboat on fire! But the results are so worth it! Penne, Vodka, Cream, Cheese and Salmon!
This is probably one of my favorite pasta dishes to make. I find the funny thing about this dish is even though it does taste good the day after, something about it right off the stove is best.
Penne alla Salmone Vodka
- 4 oz Diced Pancetta
- 1 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 4 oz Smoked Salmon
- 1/2 cup Vodka
- 28 oz Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 small fist Chopped Parsley
- 1 clove Minced Garlic
- 3/4 cups Diced Shallots
- 1/2 cup Save some pasta water
- 3/4 cup Heavy Cream
- In a pan under medium-high heat. Att a 1 tsp. of oil and 2 tbsp of butter. As soon as the butter is melted add the chopped shallots.
- Add diced cured ham.
- After a minute of cooking add minced garlic. Cook for 30 sec's. Add 1 tbsp of chopped parsley.
- After 30 seconds add the chopped salmon. Cook for another 30 seconds mix well.
- Add 1/2 cup of vodka. You have two choices. #1 If setting your house/boat on fire isn't your thing. Just lightly boil and reduce till vodka is almost gone. #2 Set'r on fire and wait till the flame goes out.
- Add crushed tomatoes. Mix well and reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook for about 30 on a light simmer. Try and reduce by a 1/3 or until the sauce has thickened. About 10 min before you think it's done make sure your pasta is already in the boiling water.
- Add 3/4 cup of heavy cream. Note: Do not do this if the sauce is bubbling. Bring to a simmer first then add.
- Add chives and parsley and mix in.
I have had this dish and its one of my favorites. Its easy to make and it will impress anyone. Serve with toasted italian bread yum!!!
Try is with a couple of sprigs of tarragon while you’re making the sauce, not too much just enough to taste it. I just had it the other day at this Italian restaurant in Tulsa of all places.