Chicken Pot Pie
Winter is starting to show it’s ugly head here in Toronto. Couldn’t help but think of comfort food so here is my take on Chicken pot pie.
There really isn’t anything special about this other then this is a very practical dish to make while living on a boat. I might as well make a couple of these and freeze them for later.
The Ramekin I use is 3.5″ Wide and 2.5″ Deep.
Chicken Pot Pie
Servings: 4 people
- 4 Chicken Thighs Chopped (Remove Skin)
- 8 Pearl Onions
- 1 Celery Stalk Rough Chopped
- 1 Chopped Carrot
- 1 Potato Diced
- 1 cup Frozen Peas
- Chopped Italian Parsley
- 1 tsp Cayenne
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- 1 tbsp Cream
- 2 Cups Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 4 tbsp Flour
- Puff Pastry
- Eggwash 1 egg and 1 tbsp of water or milk
- On medium in a pot add in butter and melt then add the flour in to make a roux. Careful not to brown the flour! Stir frequently or it will burn.
- Add in the stock and stir thoroughly. Stir till you can run your finger across the back of a spoon and not have the mixture run.
- Now you add cayenne pepper. Stir well.
- Now add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add in a splash of cream.
- Stir in all your chicken, vegetables, thyme and parsley cover and let simmer on low for about 15-20 min. After let cool for another 15 min before doing next step.
- Fill your ramekins.
- Place the puff pastry oversized on top.
- Brush the whole pastry with an egg wash.
- Put in an oven at 400 for 20-30 min. Each oven is different. Cook till it's nice and golden brown.
- When done take out and let rest and cool for at least 15 min. It will be very hot.
Master Brad...ya, that flying dog held me captive forever, in the end the eggs never hatched. Grrrr
I had totally forgotten about this, my Portuguese dogs are still in therapy.
Try is with a couple of sprigs of tarragon while you're making the sauce, not too much just enough to…
Good catch...I forgot to add the good stuff. Butter. :)