Death by Bacon!
Add to a grilled cheese sandwich, burger, brie or try it on top of a scallop!
Bacon Bourbon Jam
- 1.5 lbs Chopped Canadian Bacon
- 3 cup Red Onion Diced You can use yellow if you want.
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp Dry Mustard
- 1/4 tsp Crushed Black Pepper
- 3 tsp Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Bourbon
- 1 cup Chicken Stock
- 1 tbsp Butter
- pinch Cayenne Pepper
- Neutral Oil
- 1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar Optional: If you want more of an acidic tang! 😛
- 1 large Jalapeño Diced w/ Seeds Optional: I like mine to have a bit of heat
- With a heavy pot over medium heat and add the bacon starting from a cold pot and cook till fat starts to render and bacon starts to get crispy, don't over crips. Remove bacon, chop and set aside. Leave bacon fat behind.
- Add a knob of butter and add in onion and sauté till onions are soft.
- Add brown sugar, paprika, dry mustard, salt and pepper and a pinch of cayenne pepper. And don't forget a little bit on thyme. Give it a good stir.
- Add chopped bacon and stir in.
- Pour in half the Bourbon and half the Stock and stir in while scrapping anything that might be stuck to the bottom of the pot. Stir often mixture has thickened. approx: 10-15 min.
- Add remaining bourbon and half of the remaining stock, Continue to stir and cooking for about 10 minutes until liquid has evaporated.
- Puree with hand-blender or blender only if you want it smoother. You can also leave it as is.
- Add back to pot and cook till thickened. Taste for salt and pepper. Give it a small splash of oil to give the mixture a shine.